My nightly shot of Lupron is going well so far. The first night I did the shot in my stomach and I had an itchy rash for a while afterwards so last night I did the shot in my arm. I liked doing it in the arm better, but unfortunately some of the serum came back out when I started bleeding so I don’t know how well that is going to work. I can already tell that the Lupron is doing funny things to my body. Here are some of my crazy symptoms….
-I am soooooooo tired…but I am not allowed to drink caffeine (I can only have one pop a day and not much chocolate...sad!)
-I am gaining weight…but I can’t work out (you aren’t supposed to get your heart rate over 140)
-I have terrible acne from these stupid drugs, but I can't use face washes because they contain peroxides and chemicals that I can't use AND they wouldn't help because a hormone imbalance is causing the acne
-Hot flashes—oh my goodness…I was sweating like crazy last night! Seriously….the sheets were soaked and it wasn’t because I wet the bed!
-Muscle and joint pain—my neck and back hurt so bad!
-Sleep walking—yes…I started sleepwalking again! When I was on Clomid for 7 months I talked and walked in my sleep a lot! Apparently this drug has that effect too since last night I “woke up” and got fully dressed in the closet and then went to the bathroom and undressed. Andrew found a pile of clothes in the bathroom this morning that weren’t there last night. I will have to "document" my sleepwalking behaviors on this blog...I wish I would've written them down when I was taking Clomid because I did some pretty crazy stuff!
-Crazy dreams—I barely EVER remember my dreams, but this drug makes me have very vivid dreams. Last night I was dreaming that in-vitro didn’t work for us…sad! It was more like a nightmare!!
-I also have a few other unpleasant symptoms that are not really blog appropriate! HA!
I began wondering if all these symptoms were just in my head or if they were really from the drug so I finally gave in and looked up the side effects (since the doctors and pharmacists fail to tell you what will happen to your body) and sure enough…that explains how I have been feeling lately! Here is what the website said…
“IVF cycles require total control over your hormone levels and your reproductive system’s functions in order to create a hospitable environment for ovarian stimulation. Lupron puts your ovaries to sleep so that you do not ovulate before the egg retrieval. While the drug is relatively harmless, Lupron tends to make women experience menopause-like symptoms because of the crash in estrogen levels.
These side effects include headache, weakness, nausea, vomiting, hot flashes, night sweats, dizziness, diarrhea, constipation, weight change, loss of appetite, increased urination, breast tenderness, sexual dysfunction, vaginal discharge, depression, confusion, acne, muscle aches and hair loss. If any of these side effects persist, consult your doctor.”
I REALLY hope I don't have to experience all of those side effects! I guess I should know by now to ask "Dr. Google" for advice. I mean seriously...I spend all this time googling fertility symptoms, but really, will anything good come out of searching for “fertility drug, side effects?” or "will egg retrieval hurt?". Dr. Google is never going to tell me that there are zero side effects and that I will be just fine. Instead, he will list all the possible scary side effects and make me worry even more!
Thank you for that Dr. Google! A better question is..."why can't I stop asking you my crazy infertility questions???"

No comments:
Post a Comment